Saturday, June 8, 2019

Crying a River of Tears

Last night I dreamed about a fabulous teacher who was full of passion and flair. She got up and stood on a small students' chair to get her students' attention. That's when I got the feeling that she was great.
Teachers are so important in everyone's lives, but so often the recognition and acclaim goes to sports figures, politicians, and celebrities who can act or sing well.
Today I read that Trump has cut off the budget for children to have teachers at detention centers. I'm so against detaining children separate from their parents in the first place. And then to create conditions that are worst than in refugee camps is completely abhorrent.
I hope volunteers step forward. I've taught immigrants long enough to know that the politics of hatred run deep in the institutions of the U.S., and that anyone who would volunteer to go into a detention center would also probably be mistreated and disrespected.
The kind of people who work in these places are so often petty tyrants who love having control of the people under them. Being cruel and mean is their nature, and they can do things in an impersonal, institutional way that hurts others.
If I could, I would cry a river of tears that would flood the world, and sweep everything horrible

No comments: