Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Desert Botanical Garden on Valentine's Day - Spring Comes Early in Phoenix

Yesterday I went into Phoenix to the Cancer Support Community to join a group that meets weekly of other people who've been dealing with cancer, facilitated by a professional counselor. I listened eagerly to their stories, but found myself a little too empathic with their suffering, although I heard hope there, too.

After we'd finished our session, I visited the Desert Botanical Gardens. By then, it was up to 82 degrees, and I was dressed a little too warmly for comfort. Walking was an effort. I quickly tired, but there were lots of benches, and I took many photos. I had been there last fall, and had gamely explored as much of the gardens as I was able to, considering that I was still recovering from the complete hysterectomy I'd had in early October. Walking wasn't any easier this time, as I have yet to regain vitality, strength, and endurance.

I suppose there is no way that I can post on a daily basis without this also being a blog about my cancer journey, as I am feeling subsumed by it right now.

I was wandering, a little lost, through the wilder end of the park in the saguaro forest when I realized that birds were singing all around me, that happy sound birds make in the spring. I was so glad to be out of doors and listening to the birds sing, even if my body wasn't in quite the shape that I'd like it to be. As I was finding my way out to the exit, I was distracted by the blooms in the succulent garden, and found a friendly bird who seemed to be showing off for my camera while dipping its long beak in tubelike flowers.


This bird had a scratchy kind of sound that it made. I imitated it, and it flew closer to me to investigate. My encounter with this bird was magical; it was part of the paradigm shift of communicating with everything, and feeling that you are a vibrating part of all life on the planet.

I'm going to share more of my photos so that you can enjoy walking in the desert garden with me. Enjoy the flowers of the desert with me.











Next I'm going to share photos of cacti, trees, and the captivating landscape of the desert, including an oasis. Look for the dove; it's well camouflaged. And there is one odd plant that looks like it is growing flossy hair; I joked with an old couple looking at it with me that it was how my hair looked under my wig. First are two very tall century trees that supposedly only bloom once in a hundred years.














No comments: